Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Can We Talk About This?

WARNING: Totally NOT music related.

As I was looking for interesting stories to talk about on air, I came across this scary creature, and I don't think words over the podcast can describe the monster called Blobfish:

From Wikipedia:

The blobfish (Psychrolutes marcidus) is a deep sea fish of the family Psychrolutidae. Inhabiting the deep waters off the coasts of mainland Australia and Tasmania,[1] it is rarely seen by humans.

Blobfish live at depths where the pressure is several dozens of times higher than at sea level, which would likely make gas bladders inefficient for maintaining buoyancy. Instead, the flesh of the blobfish is primarily a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than water; this allows the fish to float above the sea floor without expending energy on swimming. Its relative lack of muscle is not a disadvantage as it primarily swallows edible matter that floats by in front of it.

Blobfish can be caught by bottom trawling with nets. Such trawling in the waters off Australia may threaten the blobfish in what may be its only habitat.

Now this may be old news to some, but to me, this is a new and horrible true threat to society. Ever watched the movie blob? I don't care if they are underwater: they are strategically forming a plot against us living creatures above water... this I am sure. Zombies I can certainly handle, but I really don't know if I could hold my own against the blobfish. No joke.

Now the weird thing is that people are actually scared these creatures may go extinct. According to an article in the Telegraph, the inedible fish is caught off of the coast of Sydney accidentally buy crab and lobster nets. Don't get me wrong, I am all about saving species, but not when it is an alien race generating itself undersea! The more dead, the closer we are to the safety of our planet.

What do you guys think of the blobfish?

No comments:

Post a Comment